Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies - Gluten Free

Okay so I just had my first experience with losing an entire blog!  UGH!  So unfortunately this blog is going to be short and sweet.  Unlike my mood!  Blah! 

Last week sure did seem to fly by right?  It probably had to do with me getting stuck in the bathroom all weekend.  No, it's not what you are thinking, I did not fall off the gluten free wagon.  I was painting.  I really am probably one of those rare individuals that loves to paint.  I won't say that I am awesome at it by any means, but it is very relaxing to me.  Oh except the taping part, I don't like that part at all.  Anyway, I think it turned out nice.  Alec says to me, "it's about time you painted the bathroom, its so sterile and cold feeling in there."  Really, sterile?  I took it as a compliment, ooh because of my new BFF Kaboom with oxi clean.  Anyway he wanted me to paint all around the shower/bath because its a nice chocolate color and he said that it would feel like the shower was surrounding him with warmth while he was showering.  Really, what planet is that kid from?  This coming from a kid who EVERY stinking day warms up his pants with the blow dryer because he can't stand the feel of cold pants.  Do you have any idea how many blow dryers I went through before I figured out what the heck was going on with that whole ridiculousness (is that a word?)? 

Anyway, here is a delicious recipe for brownies, which are one of the kids' favorite things.  I went through quite a few recipes before I settled on this one.  Several of them turned out resembling something that I could've used to make a beautiful hearth for the woodstove.  These usually only last one night, maybe two if the kids' friends, "I don't know" and "It wasn't me" show up and eat all of them.  I really wish their parents would not allow them to come over as much as they do.  LOL!  I have one more that is marvelous and will post that at some point too.  In this pic though, I just mixed all the ingredients together because I was in a hurry, Alec was disappointed, it was his birthday and he wanted the marble cheesecake brownies.  Yeah well, hey buddy I was busy trying to make your bathing experience warm and inviting. 

If you want them non gluten free - substitute the same flour amounts with all purpose flour!  Jealous!

BTW - I don't remember where I stole this recipe from, but whomever it is.... It is UH Mazing! Thanks.

Enjoy~

Photo by Kelly Taylor

Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies

4oz. unsweetened chocolate
4oz. semi sweet chocolate
1/3 C. butter
6oz. cream cheese, softened
2 C. sugar, divided
6 large eggs, divided
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. gluten free flour mix (Bob's Red Mill)
9oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 C. gluten free flour mix (Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 tsp. xantham powder (or guar gum)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Melt the unsweetened chocolate, semi sweet chocolate and the 1/3 c. butter in a double boiler or in a pyrex bowl over a simmering pot of water, making sure not to boil so that the water does not get into the mixture.
Beat cream cheese  and 1/4 c. butter until creamy, gradually adding 1/2 c. of sugar, beat well.

Beat in 2 eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping the bowl after each addition.  Stir in the vanilla and fold in 2 Tbsp. of flour and 1/2 cup chocolate chips, set aside.

Beat the remaining 4 eggs, gradually add in the remaining 1 1/2 c. of sugar; add chocolate mixture and 2 tsp. vanilla; beat until well blended.

In a bowl, combine 1 C. flour, baking powder, xanthan powder and salt; fold in the chocolate batter and remaining chips.

Set 3 cups of the batter aside.

Spread the remaining batter into a greased rectangular pan; pour cream cheese mixture over chocolate batter then top with the reserved chocolate batter and swirl with a knife.

Bake at 325° F for 45 minutes.
Cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had a blast reading through some of your posts. Very funny, entertaining and, oh yea, I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete