Friday, June 10, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake

My daughter, Stephanie, just graduated High School a week ago (Valedictorian, I might add.)  For those of you who do not have a teenager who is close to graduating, you are in for one of the most bittersweet moments of your life.  I can remember having random moments of tears welling up in my eyes at the thought of her moving out and getting her own life.  It's one of those contradictory moments in your life when you realize that all those times you thought to yourself, " I can't wait til they move out" and then that moment is actually upon you and you're like "wait, wait a damn minute, I am not ready for her to leave yet."  Then reality sets back in when a couple of days after graduation you go into her room to put that nice fresh clean pile of laundry that you thoughtfully folded on her bed for her to put away and BLAM you walk in to what looks like what New Orleans must have looked like after the water receded.  UGH! I can't wait til she moves out.....(not really ;) )

In the meantime.....  I bake or cook to help me relax and unwind.  And lately I have been baking and cooking up a storm... lol

The recipe that I am posting today is one that I found while surfing the internet one day this very long winter.  UGH winter, I hate even saying that word lately.  Idaho seems to be on some kind of weird climate twilight zone lately.  It snowed two days ago and quite frankly I am getting sick of it.  Bring on Summer!  Anyway I found it originally at www.foodgawker.com, which led me to the original site of the www.kitchenrunway.com. These folks have some amazing recipes and you should check out their site.

A few months ago I started baking something for our weekly supervisor meetings at work, using them as guinea pigs, because Toby is not always a fan of what I make.  Trust me my co-workers are up for the challenge on this one.  The only thing I will not bring them are Donuts, hello for anyone who knows me, the answer is obvious as to why.  This recipe was such a hit, I have literally made it four times already.  I am not sure what it tastes like, because of the whole WHEAT nemesis, but I am told that it is one of the most delicious coffee cakes that they have eaten.  It must be good right? 

Hope you enjoy!

Photo by Kelly Taylor

Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake

Crumb Topping

1 3/4 C. all purpose flour
3/4 C. light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. coarse salt (I omitted)
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Cake

2 C. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
2 C. sugar
3/4 C. regular butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
12 oz. fresh blueberries (I used 6 oz.)

Glaze

1 C. powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 Tbs. milk

Pre heat oven to 300°F.  Grease a 10 inch spring form pan (or tube pan) with butter or spray. 
First prepare the topping.  Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.  Add butter, using a fork or a pastry cutter, combine the mixture until small medium clumps form.  Place in the refrigerator. 

For the cake, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, give it a whisk and set it aside.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar on medium high speed until mixture is lighter in color and has increased in volume a bit, about 5 minutes.  Turn the mixer to low and slowly add butter, making sure that it has cooled, you don't want to cook the eggs.  Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat for 2 more minutes.  Add vanilla, zest and lemon juice and stir.  Slowly fold a 1/2 a cup of the flour mixture at a time into the egg and sugar mixture.  Add blueberries and stir gently to incorporate.  Not too much, you don't want to make them mushy.   Pour into the pan and top with crumb topping.  Bake on the middle rack for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. 

For the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk until smooth.  Drizzle the glaze over the cake.  Let sit for at least 5 minutes to allow the glaze to set.

~ENJOY~

1 comment:

  1. Kelly! I'm so glad your friends are enjoying the recipe! It looks wonderful! Take care and I can't wait to see more recipes!

    ReplyDelete