Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Black Peppered Chicken

Who doesn't love the Panda Restaurants?  This is the closest I have come to their black peppered chicken and it is too die for.  You will notice that there is no celery or onions pictured in the recipe, my children are not big fans, however it's very easy to add and I would suggest that you do so.  Remember if you are wanting to make this gluten free, it's all in the soy sauce.  You can purchase gluten free soy, but La Choy is in almost every supermarket and it is gluten free.  I love chinese food because a lot of it is naturally gluten free and if it is battered in some way, its usually done with cornstarch. 

If you don't own a rice steamer, you are missing out.  My daughter came home one day and informed me that her boyfriend's mother made her some of the best rice she ever had, "sorry Mom, no offense, but it was really good."  So the next time I went to Boise I bought a rice steamer and she was right!  I now make all of my rice in my trusty steamer, including the one's that come from a box.  Which by the way are not too many, with the whole gluten free thing, it's hard to find anything from a box anymore.
Note: Its very easy to overdo on the pepper, so if you don't like spice, then cut back about a 1/4 tsp. of the white pepper, a little goes a long way.

So here is my take on Black Peppered Chicken ~Enjoy!

 
Photo by Kelly Taylor

Black Pepper Chicken

Sauce:

1/4 C. oyster sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. rice wine

1 lb. boneless chicken breast
1 white onion, sliced into strips 
2 celery stalks, sliced into strips
oil for frying

Mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  Cut chicken into 2 inch strips. Heat about 2 Tbsp. of oil in pan and cook chicken until done.  Drain the chicken on paper towels.  Clean out the pan, heat about 1 Tbsp. of oil.  Add the onion and celery and cook for two minutes.  Add the sauce mixture and heat until bubbly.  Add the chicken stirring to fully coat with the sauce mixture. 
Serve with steamed rice.

~ENJOY!~

No comments:

Post a Comment